We often look at acne as one where the skin breaks out in ugly pimples complete with the nodules, cysts and pus. Yes, indeed, acne is not a pretty sight no matter how anybody looks at it. But did you know that there are many types of acne aside from the obvious pimples?
Knowing about these kinds of acne is important since each one requires a different approach than the other. With that said, dermatologists categorize acne into three – mild to moderate acne vulgaris, severe acne vulgaris and severe acne.
Mild to Moderate Acne Vulgaris
Among all the categories of acne, it is acne vulgaris in the mild to moderate form that are common. This is a good thing, in a manner of speaking, mainly because the severe forms of acne causes disfigurement on the face and debilitation to the mind, both of which nobody wants. So, if you are at risk for any of the types of acne, pray that it is one of the following mild kinds.
- Whiteheads are completely blocked skin pores with a white appearance.
- Blackheads are partially blocked skin pores with a black appearance because of the melanin’s reaction to oxygen.
- Papules are red, tender and inflamed bumps with no visible head.
- Pustules are characterized by red circles with white or yellow centers.
In all of these types of mild to moderate acne, it is not advisable to pop the pimple or force the head. You will only be making the acne worse than it was before.
Severe Acne Vulgaris
Unfortunately, the mild to moderate types of acne vulgaris can develop into severe forms, which provides the vulgar in the vulgaris. You will want to see your dermatologist for these kinds of acne since over-the-counter medications will most likely not work anymore.
- Nodules are the large, hard and painful bumps under the skin’s surface. It can leave deep scars as well as an impaction, which is the point of origin for the acne to flare up over and over again.
- Cystic acne looks similar to nodular acne except that it is not filled with pus and with a diameter of 5mm or more. Don’t even think of squeezing the acne as it can lead to deep scarring and infection.
- Acne rosacea may look like nodules and cysts but it is actually a different type of acne. The skin sports a red rash coupled with bumps and pimples.
Among the many types of acne, it is severe acne that you will not want to inflict on your worst enemy. Not only does it lead to facial skin disfigurement with the bumps, nodules and cysts, your psyche will suffer too.
- Acne conglobata is more common in males and is characterized by several large lesions and widespread blackheads.
- Acne fulminans is the sudden onset of acne conglobata with symptoms like severe nodules and even ulcerating pimples.
- Gram-negative folliculitis is a bacterial infection with pustules and cysts.
- Pyoderma faciale affects females only and is characterized by large painful nodules, pustules and sores.
Indeed, you will want to take the necessary preventive measures against any of these types of acne. We recommend seeing your doctor if you are at risk.